Tuskegee History on a Hangar 9 RC Mustang

Nov 08, 2011 13 Comments by

We were lucky enough to meet up with Marty Nelson and check out this great looking Hangar 9 Mustang.  Now what makes this Mustang a truly unique thing is what is on top of the wing. Marty has collected the signatures of 14 Tuskegee Airmen and woman.   He started this collection of signatures with the former base commander Col. Paul Green of the old Norton Airbase located in San Bernardino, CA, which is now the location of the RC flying field that Marty flies at.  After getting Paul’s signature, Marty was able to attend a meeting of the LA chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen, where he acquired the other 13 signatures on the wing of this great plane.

Featured News, John Reid

West Coast senior editor About me: I’ve been involved with RC aircraft since high school and have flown just about everything. I started my RC career with scratch-building, but now like many pilots I rely on ARFs to get me in the air. My main focus is on pylon racing, aerobats, combat and scale warbirds.

13 Responses to “Tuskegee History on a Hangar 9 RC Mustang”

1. Gerry Yarrish says:

Wow! Great interview John! That is a priceless piece of history now! Marty did a great job.

2. W. E. Hence says:

NIce interview John… and a very nice job on the Red-Tail P-51 by Marty. The signatures make the airplane priceless. Fantastic!! I have a Red-Tail Top-Flite 1/5 Giant Scale and would love to get that scale cockpit that Marty mentioned… can you have him contact me? Thanks!!

3. JN JONG says:

Awesome interview John and Marty Red-Tail is such a beautiful plane and top it up with all the signatures are truely priceless. Keep up the good work guys!

4. Greg says:

That is going to be another wonderful piece of history. Great job on the cock pit. I think you should take care of your plane. I just went to the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in Mcminnville Oregon. There were real airplane’s and model RC airplane’s there. The Spruce Goose was huge. The Warbirds were wonderful. For the RC pilot there was a paved runway to fly your planes out back. I thought of the Museum when I watched the video of Mart’s mustang. They had some really detailed models in display cases for every one to see. A must see for every one.

5. racindavid says:

I was luck y enough to meet a Tuskegee Airman when I managed a hobby shop in Milwaukee in the early 90′s. Meek Stalling (sp) was his name. …. Hellava guy… great stories. Wonder if he’s still around….

6. Ponder says:

This is a great story and what a treasure this plane is turning out to be. I hope it ends up as a museum piece at some point.

7. Angus McLeod says:

I saw the movie made about the The Tuskegee Airmen many years ago they were awesome pilots and when the bombers knew the Tuskegee were flying escort they felt a little more at ease.I am working on a MK XI Spitffire 60″ (ws62.5″) scathbuilding ,and now the next will diffinitely be a Mustang P51 ahead of the Neuport WW1 plane.Martys plane looks really awesome.If you rember the the name of the company you bought the cockpit kit from plaese let me know.Current circumstances prevent me from doing much flying but I absolutely love working on planes especislly old warbirds

8. Peter Kraus says:

Great interview guys, and great to see and hear you, John after our previous correspondence re Lancaster aerobatics.

I have a special place in my heart for the Tuskegee Airmen. My late father was in Mauthausen concentration camp, which he only just survived. I was a small child with my mother in a nazi forced labour camp where my brother was actually born. The commandant was a nazi but the old guards weren’t such bad guys and gave my mother the word to escape as the allies were getting close and the SS were taking people from such camps to extermination/concentration camps ahead of the allied advance. Escaping wasn’t all that hard although few did as roaming the countryside was dangerous. Anyway, several of our family who were there together got out early in the morning of the day the SS came later and killed or marched the rest to Mauthausen.

My mother always told the story that as we were wandering through the countryside an American plane swooped low and the pilot waved to her. He was black, so it can only have been a Mustang of the Tuskegee airmen. I had the privilege of meeting some of them at the Oshkosh airshow in 2002 and told the story to the gentleman I was speaking to, but if it was him he couldn’t remember the incident. It was awesome to think it could well have been him and certainly was one of his mates.

Cheers and keep up the good work,

Peter Kraus in Australia

9. Damion Keeling Sr. says:

Simply Outstanding! The history of the Tuskegee Airmen put into a rc P-51. the signatures was nothing but the open door on our history. Well Done

10. John Reid says:

The cockpit is from Dynamic Balsa

11. Michael says:

That is a very impressive plane and I am sure that will be a great piece in a museum one day. That is a great way of retiring one of your RC flying master works of art!

12. John Reid says:

Michael, that is very true, This is a very special plane.

13. Eric Bosch Rasines says:

I love Mustang,and I love tunskegee air men !!