Turn your P-51 into a Red Tail Tuskegee Fighter

Jan 09, 2012 8 Comments by

Are you looking to do a little ARF kit bashing?  Check out what I did to the AeroWorks P-51 in this how-to video on my conversion from the Excalibur Mustang to the Tuskegee Red Tailed Mustang.  I show you how to use easily available material to do cosmetic surgery and create the plane design you want.  The best part is you will have little time and money invested in the conversion.  Part 1 is below, and part 2 is here.

Featured News, John Reid

West Coast senior editor About me: I’ve been involved with RC aircraft since high school and have flown just about everything. I started my RC career with scratch-building, but now like many pilots I rely on ARFs to get me in the air. My main focus is on pylon racing, aerobats, combat and scale warbirds.

8 Responses to “Turn your P-51 into a Red Tail Tuskegee Fighter”

1. W. E. Hence says:

Nice job on the Red-Tail Tuskegee Airman P-51 conversion.

2. John Reid says:

Thank You.
    I am very happy with the finished plane. My intentions were to use this plane to race in the USRA 50cc Warbird class. But now it looks too nice to risk flying with three other planes around the pylons.

3. James E. Lawton, Jr. says:

Thank you for your information and instructions on putting together a Red Tail aircraft I have searched for many months for something of this type. With me being a beginning in hobby and very much interested in the Red Tails, I am pleased to see what y0ou have done

4. Mark Phillips says:

Awsome conversion John! But, you did such a good job, that now it will have to be a “Hanger Queen” and reside in a worthy air- museum some where! Nice Salute to the Tuskegee Airman by the way. You should get some sort of recognition for that..

5. Vern Horne says:

GREAT conversion. I too had been looking for a REd Tail already made in the past year or two but the AeroWorks seems to be the way to go! Great detail and precision. I saw yours on the cover of the magazine and was sold… bought the issue and planning this project after my current AH-1F Cobra Scale project. Thanks for a proper representation of a great moment in aviation history! Hats off to you sir!

Vern Horne
    AKA HornDogg

6. Larry Launstein Jr says:

WOW – nice plane and everything. Looks like a lot of people are being inspired by the story of the Tuskegee Airmen. Good on you.

7. Bob Thomas says:

Really nice job, saw the new Aero-works B version and that would me a schemme for me in the future. The simplicity makes me more bolder in the ARF recreation world as I to have given up building with sticks.

8. Robert Antoine says:

This is fantastic. Have you ever sold one ? If so how much would the cost be ? I collect model P51 red tails