Formation flying with First-Person-View!

Mar 14, 2012 6 Comments by

This is one of the best air-to-air videos we’ve ever seen! This clip was posted on the Model Airplane News Facebook page by calidave88, showing “Team Echelon” doing some Skywalker Formation Flying. If you think one FPV plane is fun, wait till you see this video!

Video Picks

The model aviation authority. Model Airplane News delivers the thrill and passion of building and flying RC aircraft. Known as the magazine that started it all, Model Airplane News was launched in 1929, and remains the bible of the RC business. Written by renowned experts in the field, Model Airplane News ignites readers' passion for RC flight, effectively guides their buying decisions.

6 Responses to “Formation flying with First-Person-View!”

1. Don Schipani says:

How long of flights do you get & what size batteries did you use to power motor, servos & FPV camera?
    Thanks ! Don

2. D. McKay says:

Nice video, but the music?…Why does everyone feel the need to add music that really does not fit at all to the visuals. I know, just turn it off, which I did, but the question still remains…

3. Harry Gordon says:

I particularly enjoyed it because it was filmed at Baylands Park in Sunnyvale, where I’ve done most of my flying. I attempted something similar once, although I was taking stills, not video. It was spectacularly unsuccessful. I launched my camera-equipped Easy Star and began chasing my son’s Wlldcat around the field to get an air-to-air shot. I was a half lap behind him, so I cut across midfield to intercept. It was hard to judge our relative altitudes (no ground video), but I was apparently dead on, and I flew a perfect intercept. A loud “crunch,” and both planes came down in pieces.

4. Harry Gordon says:

Great stuff! I particularly enjoyed it because it was filmed at Baylands Park in Sunnyvale, CA, where I’ve done most of my flying. I tried something similar one day, but was shooting stills, not video. It was spectacularly unsuccessful. I launched my camera-equipped Easy Star and began chasing my son’s Wildcat around the traffic pattern. I was a half lap behind him, so I cut across the field to close in. With no ground video, it was very hard to judge our relative altitudes, but I was apparently dead on, and I flew a perfect intercept path. The result was a loud crunch, and both planes came straight down.

5. Larry Martin says:

Absolutely great! What cameras die you use and how many cameras were mounted on each plane?

Larryjm

6. Mack Easton says:

Great Video but the music is a distraction, to me. How about
    something a bit more related to the beauty and serenity of flight?

Copyright © Air Age Media. All rights reserved.
click me