Giant Electric Corsair Flies!

Mar 28, 2012 11 Comments by

Our good friend Lee Estingoy from Castle Creations finished up his giant scale electrified CARF-Models F4U-1D Corsair and logged in his first flight on it.   Lee was happy to, as he put it, finally get this bird in the air. He goes on to say: Couldn’t have asked for a better flying plane or power system.  Weighs right at 50 lbs. Spins the 30×16 3 blade at 4,100 at full charge. Flew at about 1/2 throttle most of the time.  Consumed <3,500 mAh from the 8,300 mAh packs in a 2P setup, so used 7 Ah of the 16.6 on board for a 7 minute flight.  15 minutes is entirely possible, but a bit of a shave.  Guess I could always just download the data files to see what was really going on in there.
Sampled engine sound generator & onboard amp should arrive tomorrow. :)

Modified art for the forward section to be done sometime this week.

Here are some photos he sent along

Featured News, John Reid

West Coast senior editor About me: I’ve been involved with RC aircraft since high school and have flown just about everything. I started my RC career with scratch-building, but now like many pilots I rely on ARFs to get me in the air. My main focus is on pylon racing, aerobats, combat and scale warbirds.

11 Responses to “Giant Electric Corsair Flies!”

1. Matt says:

I love Castle products and I fully understand the idea, but man, I just “carf’d in my lap at the sight of that paint scheme…

2. Victor says:

Matt, I hear ya. I love Castle….but between the color and the lack of scheme, as well as wasting a CARF like that on Electric….I’m in pain. An electric Warbird is like a sin against humanity!

3. Marlin says:

Agree on the paint scheme, though I understand it, but I have to say, I love electric, quiet, quick, consistent. That said, probably needs a good SOUND SYSTEM now …

4. Rick says:

Awsome……………..

5. DENNIS says:

I have yet to hear one of those weed eaters out there yet, that sounded like a real Pratt and Whitney!! I love my electric Warbirds! I have a hanger 9 electric corsair, I just finished a TF giant scale corsair with an 86 1/2 inch wingspan electric that weighs right at 27-28 lbs. I am using a rimfire 65cc equivalent size motor, with a 160 Castle ESC and two 5800mah six cell battery packs in series for 2s and have about 5 flights on it so far. I have only pushed it to a 4 minute flight so far. I am using a 24×12 APC electric prop, but just bought an Engel carbon fiber super silence prop 24×12 that I have not used yet. It flew great, but my knees and thumbs were shaking on landings. First time that ever happened! I guess a year and a half building was just too much to think about tumbling down the runway on landing! I have an ingenious switch and resistor set up to take care of the spark, and then plug in the big main jumper. I have a cover just behind the cowl that lifts up and allows me access to the battery and radio compartment. I did not see the number of batteries mentioned in the article,,, 12s like mine??

6. DENNIS says:

I would really like to know some more info on the power set up! I don’t think i could get the same flying time out of mine, yet, I have less weight and should not need any more than the 5800 mah packs I am using to get 9 or 10 minutes safely. I have not down loaded the info from the esc yet. Please contact me…..

7. Walt says:

More details on the power system PLEASE!

8. josh in scv says:

I prefer the smell and mess of glow myself but why are you bashing this guy on the paint. Who cares? Paint dosnt make a plane perform. I don’t care if someone is flying a pink 1/4 scale cub. In fact it makes it unique instead of looking exactly like the other 20 warbirds at the field that all pretty much fly like bricks anyway.

9. David Harrison says:

Josh, I guess there are many of us who love to see scale warbirds look like a scale warbird – it all about scale realism.