Ready to Fly FPV models!

Apr 24, 2012 26 Comments by

Check out the Spy Hawk, a ready-to-fly EPO plane that comes with a 6 megapixel camera and very cool transmitter with an FPV monitor built-in! It’s just one in a line of FPV planes and helicopters from Hubsan Hobby, which will be distributed in the U.S. by Hobby People. Here’s the officical press release; scroll down for more photos of the Spy Hawk and the transmitter, and watch the video for an interview with Hobby People’s Mike Greenshields.

Check out the Spy Hawk, a ready-to-fly EPO plane that comes with a 6 megapixel camera and very cool transmitter with an FPV monitor built-in! It’s just one in a line of FPV planes and helicopters from Hubsan Hobby, which will be distributed in the U.S. by Hobby People. Here’s the officical press release; scroll down for more photos of the Spy Hawk and the transmitter.

“Hubsan and Hobby People are proud to announce that Hobby People (hobbypeople.net) is the official USA representative for Hubsan.
Hubsan is the first company to make a line of FPV (First Person View) airplanes and helicopters that are ready-to-fly, complete, easy-to-use, and affordable. Hobby People is looking forward to bringing these beautiful models to USA customers.

Hobby People Vice President, Mike Greenshields had this to say, “We’re delighted to be working with a true innovator in the hobby today. No other company has done what Hubsan has done with these products. They’ve made complete very high quality FPV ready-to-fly packages that bring newbies and hardcore modelers alike into the world of FPV in a way that is easy and fun. These are impressive designs you are going to want to fly.”

Look for Hubsan’s complete line of both FPV products as well as other top-quality RTF hobby aircraft and helicopters coming soon.”

Featured News

26 Responses to “Ready to Fly FPV models!”

1. Gerry Yarrish says:

Sign me up for a test flight! Would be cool if there’s a jack in the transmitter for FPV goggles… even if not would be a great Father’s Day gigt for sure!

2. Mark Hanson says:

Very cool. How much?

3. Tim Johnson says:

Gerry, keep your eye on up coming news! Your wish just might come true! :)

4. Gerry Yarrish says:

Sweeeeet! I have been fooling around with FPV for a while now!

5. dlee3782 says:

Outstanding! There’s so much negative feeling towards FPV flying within the “mainstream” (for lack of a better word) RC community, that products like this — which can help more people experience it for themselves — can only help show that it’s nothing to be afraid of.

6. FPVRULES says:

It could be interesting, but don’t get too excited. To be sold to the “general public” in the US , it needs to be FCC certified. That means super low power (<25mW for 5.8GHz video), and the range is going to probably going to be very short (a few hundred feet, 100m maybe?). This is also from a unknown company, so do we really know the quality? I have hopes, but it's probably just some more "toy junk" from China…

• member643 says:

I agree about the probable quality (or lack thereof) of the end product, but I’m not sure that’s the whole story. Many of the ParkZone/HobbyZone micros are cheap Chinese stuff (not all, but many), but they serve the useful purpose of providing an easy, affordable way for people to get into the hobby who might otherwise be intimidated by the cost/complexity of the myriad options available to someone who walks into a hobby shop for the first time. Once someone flies a $99 RTF Champ, chances are they’re going to want to try something bigger and better — they’re hooked! Same holds true here. There aren’t many good RTF options for people interested in trying FPV, in which soldering is a basic skill! If this gets someone started, maybe they’ll eventually be interested in trying a Sky Surfer or Zephyr with pan/tilt, head tracker, and OSD once they get a taste for how great FPV is. On another note, I wonder if the radio that comes with this package has a buddy cord hook-up. If not, it will violate the AMA’s moronic 550 rule. ;)

7. ChazM says:

I WANT ONE! Put me on the test pilot list. :-)

8. zorro says:

Am I the only one that knows that FVP is the next big wave to hit the model airplane arena since e-flight? Aren’t all the big US manufactures holding top level meetings to see how they can beat the coming Chinese crush to corner the market on this truly marvelous technology? The RTF folks are jumping for joy because the electro-mechanical hardware is cheap and simple. In no time at all you’ll be seeing FVP stuff on TV crime shows and in movies. Its a whole new tomorrow and I for one welcome the change.

9. Daveymac says:

How soon will it be available in USA?

10. iflyrc says:

very kool. i’d be interested in a larger version

11. Steven says:

Can we expect to see these in the UK for summer time ?

Hope someone can stock them :(

12. Mike Heer says:

Prices are posted now at Hobby People. The Spy Hawk is $330. as is the Invader helicopter. The Spy Hawk with recording is $399.99 and the optional goggles are 199.99.

13. mark says:

i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one i want one. pretty please….

14. Pete Goulding says:

Hey Debra, tell me more about the Heli with FPV. Is there a link or description of what size, and is it using a known frame/component set for spare parts?

Also, any more detail on the resolution and frame rate of the video and any chance HD Video is an upgrade option?

Thanks! VERY COOL!

15. Mike Greenshields says:

The Hubsan equipment all has FCC certification. The Spy Hawk 2.4GHz transmitter controller range is about 2000 feet and the 5.8GHz video transmission back to the tx is about 1500 feet.

The onboard camera is 5mp and the onboard recorder is 1080p hi def. The transmission back is lower res but still quite clear in the tx screen and goggles.

The helis are basic FPV. They have less range (300-500 feet) and they do not record. Their mechanics are very high quality and the operation is really smooth. It results in a very stable, easy to fly heli.

The feedback in Toledo was very positive. The radio feel great and the fit and finish is excellent. I hope people come by our booth at RCX and check it out.

-MIke Greenshields

16. Doublebuck says:

This FPV sounds like fun to me. Lets let the wallets decide! I would like to try one out myself.

17. ChazM says:

It’s very cool. Hope not too pricy.

Couldn’t call it the EAGLE EYE or something.
    Had to call it the SPY Hawk.

18. Gerry says:

This is SO COOL!! AND so well done! Everything about it is top notch, so I’m sure it won’t be inexpensive, but it looks to be absolutely top-of-the-line.

It’s nice to see something done RIGHT!!

19. d.o. darnell says:

I watched a test flight at http://www.onlyflyingmachines.com

This is in China, and worth a look. Plane seems to fly well and the video equipment also seems to work very well. Output for secondary control and video out are on bottom of TX/monitor unit. Very cool packaging, and very tiny airborn components.

Seems like a good way to get your feet wet in UAV/FPV without spending a buttload.

I’ve been dabbling in GPS/Video stuff a LOT lately, and have spent several times the cost of this plane on just components!

This is a really new toy. I plan to get me one with autopilot and return-to-home option.

Check it out!

20. Jim Marble says:

Some thoughts and opinions. First watch the video, which is acturally a series of videos. Thanks to D.O. Darnell for the web address. You have to specify mode 1 or 2 when you order. Watch the video before you install the battery. The first 25 planes will ship 4/27/12. It seems to be a good idea to catch the plane when landing to keep dirt out of the camera. I think the wings may be too short, so you may not be able to fly as slow as you would like. I will wait for the Big Daddy to come out the end of next month. It will probably cost $100-200 more but you will get a pan/tilt camera, a much a bigger 1400 mm wing and 45+ minute flight times. Also the camera is on top of the nose and out of the dirt when landing. As with all new products it is a good idea to wait a while so that product improvements get a chance to filter down. (If you can wait).

21. Tango-Tango says:

I think you can expect some MAJOR Governmental regulation of this FPV stuff. Talk about what all Evil Forces have been waiting for…this is it! Get that whisper quiet motor and you can be hovering outside your neighbor’s window or over whatever secure installation you want.

While it will be mighty fun for sure to have these FPV Planes and Helis, I think we can expect a plethera of Government Agency interest, such as FBI, DEA, BATF, CIA, Secret Service, Border Patrol, Homeland Security, etc., etc., etc., just to name a few. They have been using this stuff for years and they DON’T like to share their toys!

I am only saying don’t be surprised when they regulate these cameras for civilian use. Keep your wings level, the wind in your face and the sun on your shoulders! TT

22. D Schilling says:

Very cool, I started doing aerial video 10yrs ago with a wireless camera and old 13 inch tv. Now I have a GO-PRO hero 2 hooked into a transmitter for live feed. Would love to be a test pilot hint hint. Anyways things are moving very quickly Im sure in a few years personal drones will be common place. I also look forward to the change. Are they looking for distributors??

23. John says:

I just pre-ordered mine from http://www.SpyHawkFPV.com !! Gonna be here in May, can’t wait!