RotoFlow Fuel Systems

Jun 20, 2012 8 Comments by

– Go With the Flow! Not every day something comes along that’s truly new.  RC Fuel Tanks haven’t changed in decades and we all deal with the same old problems of leaks and misplaced clunks after a hard landing! The new RotoFlow Fuel system from JL power Products is tryly revolutionary with its internal clunkless design.

• Inside each tank is a fully engineered fuel pickup system that has a large easy moving fuel pickup that’s always going to be in position for proper fuel flow regardless of the attitude and position your plane. The new RotoFlow clunkless fuel tank has a brass rotary fuel pick-up that works on the principle of centrifugal force to ensure constant and reliable contact with fuel.

RotoFlow tanks and hardware are compatible with Glow fuel, Gasoline, Kerosene, and smoke oil materials.

Features include:

• Fuel is drawn away from the foam layer at the wall of the tank
  • No internal hoses or connections to harden, or leak air or fuel
  • A harder-hitting throttle response due to the ability to draw from a more foamless and air bubble-free fuel supply
  • Works with gas or glow fuels
  • Zero maintenance
  • Triple-sealed, machined stopper will not leak or take a set
  • Barbed brass outlet nipple secures both 1/8″ and 5/32″ fuel hoses
  • Aerospace seals for performance and durability
  • No assembly
  • One year warranty

Here are some photos of the new fuel tank and its internal details. Watch for a full review in MAN coming soon!

J&L Power Products, Inc.
388 Belvedere East
Colgate, WI 53017

Featured News, Gerry Yarrish

Senior Technical Editor About Me: I have a lifelong passion for all things scale, and I love to design, build and fly scale RC airplanes. With 20 plus years as part of the Air Age family of magazines, I love producing Model Airplane News and Electric Flight.

8 Responses to “RotoFlow Fuel Systems”

1. High Nitro says:

Hi Gerry. These tanks are really nice, especially for larger planes. And they work with gas and glow. I only see two downsides. One is that you have to put a “T” in the clunk line in order to empty the tank which in essence creates three more ‘connections’ to the line to the carb — unless you can take the line off the carb to fill and empty. I can’t think of one of my planes that works that way, however. Second, the clunk can’t go forward in a prolonged dive and there is a slight risk of not enough fuel getting to the carb for a consistent run. I recently had a flameout coming out of a high stall turn but in fairness running out of fuel to the clunk probably wasn’t the reason the engine quit. It might not be a worry in most installations but that is something different from the normal plumbing.

• William Pockl says:

My thoughts exactly, High Nitro. It appears that at a quater tank or less, the clunk is out of the fuel depending on the planes attidude .

2. Phil Hultin says:

What about a pressure feed from the muffler? Don’t see any way to pressurize the tank.

• Phil Hultin says:

Oh – sorry, I missed the first picture that shows additional hose nipples on the plastic fuel tank itself. Never mind.

3. High Nitro says:

Yeah Phil, the tanks have the two nipples and the top one makes a good vent connection. BUT, what good is the second one if you can’t put a second line inside for fueling and de-fueling.

Hey wait, I just had a thought! If you invert the plane you can de-fuel through the vent line. Using a “T” on that wouldn’t be as critical as creating three extra connections to the carb.

When the article comes out in M.A.N. maybe these issues will be addressed.

4. Gerry Yarrish says:

William, you are incorrect. The tank plumbing is custom made to fit each size of tank offered. In each case, the free rotating pickup weight is positioned to about 3/16-inch of the inner aft corner of the tank. it should do a great job getting all the fuel out of the tank. In an extended dive, I doubt you’d have any fuel flow issues, running out of altitude before you run out of fuel flow… Test flights will be flown and we’ll see. Beside, I think if there were such issue with this product, I think the web would be full of complaints. The tanks are designed and manufacturered by a modeler with over 30 years flying and hobby experience!

5. Danny says:

Does anyone know if the lower vent is open or do you have to open it up with a drill bit or pin, it looks like its closed on the end, do I need to cap it off if not used??

6. armin says:

hi
    how can i connect to 3 fuel tank to each other any one now about what system is use for this connection please send your advice to my email
    and sorry because of my english is not good