X-37B Secret Space Plane Video

Jun 20, 2012 11 Comments by

The U.S. Air Force’s X-37B unmanned space plane returned to Earth last week after 15 months in orbit on a mystery mission! The Air Force released a video (below) that was partially shot in infrared. The X-37B landed at Vandenberg Air Force Base.

Debra Cleghorn, Featured News

11 Responses to “X-37B Secret Space Plane Video”

1. Gerry Yarrish says:

wow awesome!

2. Michael LeBlanc says:

Cool !

3. Crash McGee says:

Ahhh ha! So THAT’s what the wheels on my RC airplane are for!

4. Michael says:

Sorry, but all I saw on this videa was a comercial..and just an infra red picture of something that looks like a plane. Is there a video of the plane or is this all I get

• Debra Cleghorn says:

The part that’s shot in infrared *is* the plane. Presumably the Air Force was using IR to see the effects of heat buildup on re-entry to the Earth’s atmosphere. If you keep watching, there’s video of the plane shot in “normal” light mode. Sorry about the commercial; I embedded from YouTube and it came that way.

5. Don says:

No video. Just an ir photo of the plane.

6. Raul says:

That was just awesome!!! Debra do you happen to know the specs of it, well maybe not the specs, but at least how big is it?

• Debra Cleghorn says:

It has a 14-foot, 11-inch wingspan and is 29 feet, 3 inches long. Interestingly, it uses gallium arsenide (!?) solar cells with lithium-ion batteries for power. It won’t win any beauty contests, but it’s definitely cool!

7. Dan Barker says:

I worked on this program a short time in Southern Calif. and it’s good to see some public release.

8. Alex says:

Dear Deb,

Thanks for the video and for keeping us informed about any developments, manned or not.

It is nice to see that we are once again looking up to space, and that we did not stop with the demise of the Space Shuttle. The X-37B has been under development for a while.

More info at …