Mr. Top Gun’s new Bristol Beaufighter

Jul 15, 2012 9 Comments by

You just never know what you will discover at the Warbirds over Delaware event and this year was no different. One of the most ambitious projects we discovered is the handiwork of three-time Top Gun Champion, David Wigley, a still-in-primer 1/5-scale Bristol Beaufighter. This amazing twin engine will be powered by a pair of 100cc gas engines and it is constructed using traditional balsa, plywood, fiberglass and resin construction. Dave designed and scratch built the entire project from 3-views and photos and measurements of the real airplane in a museum. The landing gear alone took over a year to complete with 3D CAD modeling and CNC maching work. Dave hopes to have this impressive twin fighter ready for Top Gun in 2013.

Featured News, Gerry Yarrish

Senior Technical Editor About Me: I have a lifelong passion for all things scale, and I love to design, build and fly scale RC airplanes. With 20 plus years as part of the Air Age family of magazines, I love producing Model Airplane News and Electric Flight.

9 Responses to “Mr. Top Gun’s new Bristol Beaufighter”

1. Rogerio Araujo says:

Way to go David!
    Can’t wait to see it at next year’s Top Gun 1

2. Jim Gobetz says:

Great job Dave…Looks like a winner for next year!

3. Sean McHale says:

Looks fantastic David! Nice subject choice.

4. Bill says:

Can’t wait to see it when it is done. Always liked the look and common sense of these British planes like this and the Mosquito. Notice that the prop arc is not close to the pilot or other crew members. That way if they have to come in on the belly (no landing gear) a prop blade won’t come off and come through the fuselage. (My father was in WWII and the Northrop Black Widow had prop in line with pilot and he told me that he saw one pilot killed when the plane came in with landing gear up).

5. mike odom says:

VERY NICE

6. Rick Michelena says:

What a thrill it is to see the amazing craftsmanship that still exist within the hobby. Sadly, we must realize that it is only our generation that developed the skills necessary to build. I would love to see young builders featured. Without them, this hobby is probably over in the next 20 years.

Rick M.

7. Anonymous says:

Great work. Looks like a winner. Mac McKinney

8. Mick sturgeon says:

Aawesome my 2 nd favorite plane after the Mosquito it looks like trip next year to Tog Gun will be a definite must.
    Mick Sturgeon

9. Anonymous says:

Beaufighter and Mosquitos are my favourite airplanes, and this
    build is amazing, absolut great work, congratulation and I wish You a happy Maiden Flight

Best Regards