Super Constellation: Biggest ARF ever?

Jan 08, 2013 18 Comments by

It’s a new year; don’t you deserve a new plane? How about a giant-scale airliner ARF that’s guaranteed to wow the crowd? This 4-engine, 169-inch-span plane comes covered in Oracover and has a bolt-on, two-piece wing for easier transport and field setup. Don’t think you can fit the 157-inch-long fuselage in your trailer? No worries: it comes in two pieces! Other features include a set of heavy-duty air retracts, scale spinner, scale nose gear door and functional lights. You’ll need four O.S. GT-33  engines, 20 servos and 9-channel radio. Available from the Australian World Hobbies, the Phoenix Super Constellation is available in the Qantas red and white scheme as well as in blue and white and costs approximately $4800. Order now; delivery time can take up to 3 months! [If anyone does order one, please let us know; we'd love to highlight a build-along on the site and in print!]

Debra Cleghorn, Featured News, Video Picks

18 Responses to “Super Constellation: Biggest ARF ever?”

1. Tarasdad says:

Nic! My all-time favorite airliner! Now if they only offered it in TWA or EAL livery…

2. Rich says:

This is super cool, I wonder how well it would fly with AS3X technology keeping the wings level, The wing rocking could of been from too slow of airspeed, maybe?

3. Rob Turchick says:

Sorry but as cool as the Connie is, it’s not even close to the biggest ARF…

4. Vic Minetola says:

Whoa! I’ve always loved the Connie. Are those constant-speed props? Wait a sec, I’m going through my pockets for loose change. Will it fit in my Volkswagen? If I put the top down?

Vic

5. DAY says:

Maybe biggest ARF Airliner ever would have been the appropriate title, after seeing that monster 16 foot WWI ARF. I still like the Connie….

• Don Forsman says:

It brings back memories galore. I flew across the Atlantic twice in one of the real thing. Turbo-compound engines too. Won’t find those in a scaled down version.

6. Manne Hurlbatt says:

Hi Debra,
    Nice review.
    FYI QANTAS does not have a “U”= Queensland and Northern Territory Air Service

7. Bill Mitch says:

WOW! That’s my next ARF if I can sneak it past my wife and get it to the basemaent.

8. Cropduster48 says:

Great article. Keep them coming.

9. Thierry says:

4800$. Australian or US dollars ? It’s not the same price :)

• Debra Cleghorn says:

That’s U.S. dollars. I did the conversion from Australian dollars, and believe it or not they’re really, really close. I think it’s a little less in Australian –@ $4700. :-)

10. BC says:

Made by Phoenix Model? Did you read about the 6 meters Ka8 Phoenix made has issue with the wing, like breaks up in the air? I would think twice before I will buy from them again.

11. JTech says:

What is the point?. You arrive at the field and proudly announce “I took it out of the box!” Does NOBODY design and build anymore? Not even kits! What once was a hobby had become nothing but “playing with your toys.”

• James Marble says:

Oh, come on JTech there are thousands of guys and a few gals who still design and scratch build great planes. Some of the people in our sport simply don’t have the time or skill to do that. I believe that we should respect all our fellow modelers who just want to fly something. I fly everything from an E-flight ember 2 to a giant scale fly baby, (kit built). I like to keep the little guys in my Caravan so I can fly anywere anytime. At the air field I fly the big ones.
      The point is ,thousands of people still design and build airplanes, thousands more build and fly kits. And a few of us like to buy copys of 1930/1940 Air Aces, (on EBAY), and build planes our great grand fathers flew. Our hobby is finally starting to grow agan and I think we need to do everything we can to nurture and grow our hobby. Especially getting young people involved.

12. Ron Spooner says:

Giant ARF: at what point does our hobby go from enlightened fun to ridiculous!

RS

13. Larry Howard says:

Love to see it in Capital airlines or Eastern airlines Thanks great looking airplane

14. Jerry says:

Hi Debra, I have ordered one, should be here Jan 20/14. One of my favorite airplanes.I am modeling since I was 6 years old,I scrach my first model at 12 years old,call me fanatic.Feel free to e-mail me with any questions. Jerry