eBee: a $12,000 Foamie (!)

Jan 23, 2013 7 Comments by

Equipped with eMotion 2 software, this all-foam UAV from senseFLY can follow a preprogrammed flight path or switch over to live pilot navigation, and it can even land by itself thanks to its integrated ground sensor and the ability to run its motor in reverse. This 37.8-inch-span model sports detachable wings, so it and its gear will fit in a case that meets carry-on luggage specs! Some of the eBee’s other features include a 16-megapixel camera, onboard data logging, and the capacity to create 3D maps using that data after the flight. It has a 1.9-mile radio range, a maximum cruising speed of 57 km/h (35 mph), can hold its course against winds of up to 45 km/h (28 mph), and manages about 45 minutes of flight time on one charge of its LiPo battery. Sounds perfect for a fun day at the beach, right? Not so fast … its $12,000 price tag makes it more suitable for more serious endeavors, such as surveying and mining.

The eBee has a wingspan of 96 centimeters (37.8 inches) and weighs in at 630 grams (22 oz)...

Debra Cleghorn

7 Responses to “eBee: a $12,000 Foamie (!)”

1. larry says:

45 minutes flights. like to know where you get a battery like that.

2. John Court says:

I hate to say it but I just don’t see $12K when I look at that little foamie, irregardless of its abilities to fly a preprogrammed course and then return on its own. What about ‘Ruby’, that pretty much can do the same thing. I predict the price will come down in the near future, if the company doesn’t price itself out of business. That being said, I think it is a great design with great potential for farmers and many others. Times are tough and a $12K price tag will keep it out of most peoples hands.

3. Neal Martin says:

That $12K price tag is aimed at government purchases. Everyone knows they have a never ending supply of our money.

4. Gerald Bayless says:

$12,000 That is about 12 nice nitro or gas airplanes. I could not stand there and fly for 45 min. Where do yuo get a battery that last 45 min?

5. Dan Arnold says:

I can’t believe that this project couldn’t be duplicated using off-the-shelf components for a lot less than $12,000

6. Lee Johnson says:

The airplane is only a small component of the package. It is used to transport a 16Mb camera which automatically takes aerial photos along the path. This information is then run through software which orthorectifies the images so the are 3D, measurable and can be contoured. This is photogrammetry which has been around for at least 40 years and is very expensive when flown from conventional aircraft.

7. Sal says:

where can I get this one at the price of $12k (US Dollars??)