Turbine-powered Batwing!

Apr 07, 2013 13 Comments by

IMG_0035

Brought to us by the same guy who built a fire-breathing turbine powered flying dragon last year, Rick Hamel the Dark Knight’s Batwing plane was front and center on the competition table at the Toledo Show. This amazing model is all-composite, created with Rick’s self-designed molds. It took a year and half to build and uses a JetCat P160 turbine for power.

IMG_0070

The ends of the wings and the inner trailing edges are hinged for control

IMG_0037

IMG_0036

IMG_0039

IMG_0038

IMG_0071

Taking 1.5 years to build, this completely composite built aircraft is powered by a JetCat P-160 turbine engine and it has onboard start. Truly amazing!

IMG_0042

Featured News, Gerry Yarrish

Senior Technical Editor About Me: I have a lifelong passion for all things scale, and I love to design, build and fly scale RC airplanes. With 20 plus years as part of the Air Age family of magazines, I love producing Model Airplane News and Electric Flight.

13 Responses to “Turbine-powered Batwing!”

1. A Robinson says:

Saw this at the Toledo show! Builder said the exaust was 1500 degrees. Dont know how well it flys, no video like last years winner, the green dragon, but awsome build!

2. orecinos84 says:

Incredible how this hobby can be. Congratulations to Rick Hamel. It is necessary see how fly.

3. All-Scale.com says:

All of Rick’s model fly ! , here is a video of the Dragon flying before paint ! ;) its been posted for quite some time now ..

4. Bill Hence says:

Congratulations to Rick Hamel on another OUTSTANDING model. Where can we get more details on it’s construction and specifications? Also, is there a video available of it in flight? Thanks!!

5. Ron says:

It seems to me that Rick Hamel is the perfect combination of artist, engineer, and visionary that inspires us to do better. I fly too many ARFs because of the lack of dilligence and artistic talent shown by people like Rick. The hobby shops are becoming barren of balsa and other scratch building supplies. Rick is an inspiration to all of us.

6. G Lessard says:

I too saw this at Toledo last Friday and am amazed by what comes out of his shop. What’s next year, the Flying Sub?

7. Jason says:

Awesome! Would love to see some flight video.

• Rick Hamel says:

I have a vid of the batwing on vhs tape (it is 11 years old)plan to post a new high def version this summer

8. Eric Snyder says:

Holly cow batman!

9. Patrick Alexander says:

I was at the Toledo show and saw the Batwing..Great job..Very well done..Are there any videos of it flying?

10. ed says:

keep up the great work, you are a very encouagine guy , thats what this hobby is all about , and I am just new newbe into it thanks

11. hans kleynhans says:

an incredible model makes you want to have one,

12. Josh says:

I found this through the link on BatmobileHistory.com. That Batwing looks amazing! So does that Batman.