Road to Top Gun: Grumman F7F Tigercat

Apr 12, 2013 9 Comments by

If you are a fan of serious scale and love seeing giant scale beauties on the flightline, then the name Dennis Crooks won’t be new to you. Dennis is a VP at Robart Manufacturing and his newest project is rapidly coming to a finish for competition at the 25th annual Top Gun Scale Invitational.

Here’s what Dennis has to say about his twin engine beauty.

IMG_0276

“I fully intend to have the Grumman Tigercat at Top Gun but it has not been test flown yet sooo… Anyway, it has a 120-inch wingspan and is 102-inches long.  I’m using two Robart radials (7.8ci / 128 cc) engine for power and will be running the radials on Byron fuel.  I have not weighed the model yet and I’m not ready to make a guess.

The Tigercat is built from a Bridi Tigercat kit and it has a fiberglass fuselage, a built-up wing and a balsa-sheeted foam tail.  It is finished with Pacer finishing resin and KlassKote paint.  The nose art is by Pro-Mark.

Of course, the plane has Robart electric retracts, Robart wheels and brakes and a functional Fuel tank drop. I am using a Futaba 18MZ radio.

IMG_0277

For a bit of history, Robart Mfg. founder Bob Walker actually started the project some 20 some years ago then it just sat here at Robart till I picked it up in 2011 and started seriously working on it again.

Featured News, Road to Top Gun 2013

Senior Technical Editor About Me: I have a lifelong passion for all things scale, and I love to design, build and fly scale RC airplanes. With 20 plus years as part of the Air Age family of magazines, I love producing Model Airplane News and Electric Flight.

9 Responses to “Road to Top Gun: Grumman F7F Tigercat”

1. Roger says:

My favorite airplane of all time and with real radials on top of it , it doesn’t get better then this, good luck at Top Gun

2. chardesa says:

I love the Tigercat. I have had two of them, one I sold at auction when I moved back East from New Mexico the other is an ESM ARF which is electric and is a beautiful plane to fly. I wish you luck at Top Gun and I will be rooting for you.

3. michael curmi malta says:

Hi Gerry,
    Great Tigercat by Dennis! Would you kindly ask him the CG position (distance from leading edge)? Has it flown? Good luck at TG.
    Thanks Mike Curmi Malta MAN subscriber

4. John Sohm says:

That’s a real beauty. Looks sleek just sitting there. Nice job.

5. Luis Jaime Arango Osorio says:

It is a nice plane.is beautiful plane. Good luck at Top Gun

6. Gary E. Crooke says:

My Father work at Grummman for 44 years. I wish he was still alive to see this beautiful model. He probably worked on this plane when he was a young man. Do you have an video of the plane flying?

7. Steve gauthier says:

Now this is one i can’t wait to see. Love this airplane.

8. David Bridi says:

You wont have any problem with the flight characteristics. I built the first 2 out of the molds and I still have the 3rd Tigercat with over 100 flights on it.
    Samy still has the 4th and flys it on occasion, good luck.

David Bridi

9. Heijo Kuil says:

We operate the real Bad Kitty. – Yours looks darn close!!