Giant Swing-Wing F-14

Aug 20, 2013 8 Comments by

Rudolf Winter heavily modified a Fly Eagle kit to create this beautiful swing-wing F-14 Tomcat. Rudolf notes that he spent approximately 400 hours building the plane, and it shows! Weighing in at 77 pounds, the twin turbine jet looks like its full-scale brother in flight. Thanks to tbobborap1 for taking this video and sharing it on YouTube.

For a behind the scenes look at what goes into building and testing a model of this size, check out this video where builder Rudolf Winter adds 90kg (198.42 lb.!) of weight to each wing. This is a mandatory test for German RC models that weigh over 25kg (55.11 lb), and he notes, “I am happy we did this test. On the first try, the wing broke at a load of approximately 6G.”

Featured News, Jets

8 Responses to “Giant Swing-Wing F-14”

1. Laurie says:

Damn Awesome jet !!

2. Mark says:

Kind of a rough landing lol. But otherwise very nice! Don’t see how people fly mode one or with transmitter slung that low. Lol. But very fine craftsmanship on this bird!

3. Michael Bailor says:

Mr. Winter,
    This is an amazing model aircraft. You are to be congratulated on a job well done. The F-14 is one of my all time favorites. I was able to cruise from Pearl Harbor on a carrier “USS Car Vinson” with my son when he was returning from the gulf war and watch flight operations on the way. Your model is a fine illustration of this Navy Fighter in operation. The swing wing is great and looks like an exhibit of fine art. Well done.
    Michael Bailor
    Sandy, Oregon

4. Marcus Aurelius Wilhelm Lazzare says:

Awesome!!! Quite an impressive display. Hats off to the pilot, builder, and support. A pleasure to watch. I salute their dedication to their craft. Well done. You all can build and fly a drone for me anytime.

5. Ray Stokes says:

What more can be said…incredible model and engineering skills! The test weights on the wings were beyond impressive. These large jets just continue to amaze as they test the boundaries of what a “model” is.

6. Kenny says:

WoW!!
    Very impressive!! I love Tomcats… so I couldn’t help but cringe…
    as they added the weight of a typical FAMILY(!) on this bird’s beautiful wings!

7. knightwolf1 says:

Kudos to the builder and pilot! What a beautiful plane and the swing wing operation is nothing short of awesome…

8. Eugene says:

Nice job guys.
    Well done. Love the swing wing low pass!
    For those out there who have second thoughts about the company Fly Eagle Jets, take a good look at ths clip.
    All the best