RC aircraft carrier launches T-28

Sep 18, 2013 22 Comments by

Every so often you see an RC project and realize that whoever is behind it is a creative genius. This 13-foot-long USS Kitty Hawk  is one of those projects, and it’s intended as a runway to catapult-launch an RC micro T-28!  Thanks to RapidNadion for taking and posting this video on YouTube. Your RC aircraft carrier is inspiring!

Debra Cleghorn, Featured News

22 Responses to “RC aircraft carrier launches T-28”

1. Albert says:

How Fun!

2. SKIP STACKHOUSE says:

AS A VEITMAN ERA CREWMAN OF THE KITTY HAWK I THANK YOU DOING YOUR SHIP AS THIS CARRIER.I HOPE TO SEE MORE OF THIS SHIP. WERE ANY OF ON THE KITTY HAWK AND WHEN?

3. Mark says:

Outstanding!

4. ET 2007-09 says:

This is awesome. I was on her decom crew.

5. Christopher Wayne Thomas says:

I served on the Kitty hawk, I was an ABEAN “Green shirt” I worked on the catapults and launched aircraft. This was amazing to watch and I thank you from the V -2 Bow and Waist Cats. Good job !

6. R C Smith says:

The boats are neat but the pilot needs some training.

7. Richard Pforr says:

The “Kitty Hawk” needs a “E” painted on her island
    and for the Captain and pilot, “WELL DONE”

8. A concerned modeller says:

Let’s see, we’re catapulting a model directly into the face of the idiot taking pictures. How many AMA rules were broken here? While the project is interesting, use some common sense guys…before someone gets hurt and you cause problems for the rest of the rule abiding modeling community.

9. Rj says:

Is that nuclear powered? :) Awesome project.

10. Mike says:

Now all he needs is a small B-25 so he can launch it in November to commemorate the final toast by Doolittle’s Raiders!

11. Sparky says:

I have exactly 399 Carrier landings of the Kitty Hawk. I am looking forward to seeing your project and would love the opportunity to make my 400th on board your ”Little Kitty”

12. ATC Dennis Klapwyk says:

Two Vietnam combat cruises and three more deployments on the “Hawk” from 1967 to 1987 makes me homesick watching this. We had a few go in the water too but most of our pilots were much better than these. The ship’s skipper is good but the air wing pilots need more training. Black Lions 67-69. Hormel Hawgs and Golden Hawks on last three cruises.

13. Jack Cogswell says:

What a great piece of work. A big salute to those involved in this project. And the presentation was perfect. I’m really looking forward to the recovery end of the project. There’s a lot of top notch skills put to good use here.

14. Brian Workman says:

To fly off an aircraft carrier, you need airplane pilots that have had carrier flight training on land first. Like Gen. Billy Mitchel had with the B-25 Bombers and the USS Hornet.

15. Jake says:

Well done to the team on the launch but I am so impressed to hear from so many vets that actually worked on these carriers. I tip my hat to you all and for those veterans out there I am in awe of you, thank you for your service!

16. Python says:

Looking aft for the tailhooking.

17. Kirk Vreeman says:

Cool ship. Time to go bigger and try a scale F-18. Call me if you want help

18. Willie says:

We don’t know, concerned modeler, maybe you could tell us how many rules we broke. We did not deliberately launch our 1.3 ounce, 7 mph, foamy killer at our photographer. Rather, it was something that happened during the transfer of the tx from boat operator to the shooter.. But we’re idiots (sic), what else can we say. May you never have an errant stick input as egregious as ours.

19. David Bofinger says:

Long ago I recall there was I think a British guy doing this. His carrier was a little larger, big enough he could get inside and stick his head up through the flight deck to drive, I assume it was a real boat with visibility mods. He could recover aircraft as well as launch or at least he did it once.