Down on the Deck with Navy Jets

Oct 02, 2013 7 Comments by

Hold on to your hats: this video will take you down on the flightline as F/A-18 Super Hornets, T-45 Goshawks, and even a V-22 Osprey tilt rotor take off and land just feet away from the camera. Great video, great music … you will get chills watching this! Video poster PlaneVideoArt notes, “This video was shot during the 2013 winter photocall where amateur photographers are allowed on base to shoot U.S. Navy aircraft as they train. NAF El Centro is unique in giving civilian photographers access during normal flight operations. The facility has two operating runways. The 9,500-foot (2,900 m) east/west runway handles 96 percent of the traffic. It is equipped with a Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (FLOLS) at each approach end as well as lighted carrier flight deck landing areas at both ends so pilots can simulate carrier landings.”

Debra Cleghorn

7 Responses to “Down on the Deck with Navy Jets”

1. Jason says:

Wow, not one F-22, which makes sense, since they are Air Force and NOT Navy. I did see a bunch of F-18′s though.

2. Jim says:

I can see where this would be cool as the photographer (or just being there in person), but “getting chills watching it” is not really how I would describe it. Like watching a master artist paint, yes, watching his paint dry, not so much. Thanks for the post though.

3. Tom says:

I have stood on the white line at the edge of the runway near the LSO Shack to watch them fly & land, while my sone was the LSO at the time

4. Scott Pennington (Retired NAVY) says:

Sorry, there were no F22 Raptors in this video. There were F/A-18s and F/A-18 Super Hornets

5. Tom says:

It’s too bad the military cancelled all airshows in 2013 due to “politics”. During my 24 years in the Air Force, airshows were always used as “recruiting” tools. The static displays and fly-by’s were part of everyday pilot training.

• DAY says:

You can thank Obama for cutting the military and buying obama phones for the welfare couch potatoes for no airshows. Not politics, just obama’s hate for the country.