How To Install Hinges

Nov 15, 2013 8 Comments by

From the workshop of MAN editor Gerry Yarrish, this How To Video demonstrates installing flat Du-Bro control hinges in your RC airplane. With more that 84,400 views, this video is a must watch for anyone who wants to start building his or her own RC airplanes from a kit of from plans.

hinges2

These techniques can also be used to install new hinges next to broken ones to mend a damaged ARF. Gerry uses Du-Bro Hinge Slotting tools and Zap adhesive for this technique.

video platform video management video solutions video player

hinges

Since the video was shot, Zap Hinge Glue has been discontinued however, you can use Zap Formula 560 Canopy Glue with similar results.

Featured News, Gerry Yarrish, How-tos

Senior Technical Editor About Me: I have a lifelong passion for all things scale, and I love to design, build and fly scale RC airplanes. With 20 plus years as part of the Air Age family of magazines, I love producing Model Airplane News and Electric Flight.

8 Responses to “How To Install Hinges”

1. ronrevelle says:

Very nice presentation, Gerry.

2. Rick says:

Could have been more through, a number of steps were left out. Rick

• Gerry Yarrish says:

@ Rick! What!? did you watch the video? obviously, there are only a couple of photos shown on this page…. Watch The Video… :^/

• Matt says:

Well, I kind of agree with Rick. Here are a few things that might be worth adding since this is for beginners. ( And yes, I watched the video )
        - How to keep the glue off the hinge line
        - How to pin the hinges after glueing, these hinges were designed to be pinned. Don’t have to be, but its added insurance.
        - How to handle covering and hinging, your final product in the video would be pretty difficult to cover with the hinges already glued in place. Ideally you would cut the hinge slots, cover the hinge line and then glue the hinges in place.

• Matt says:

Great video though and definitely a great start to help others out on an area that can prove to be difficult for beginners. I like seeing these types of how-tis on Model Airplane News. Keep it up!

3. Rocco Parisano says:

You need to show how to mark the center line, Beginners won’t know how to do this.

4. Nick says:

Gerry;
    Great instructional video, hopefully only the start of a great series. Don’t know what else Rick is wanting to show but I believe he is saying is what is your focus as to what audience you are targeting, new to model crafting or experienced. If the former is your intention then all I would add is “how to properly locate the hinges” on the control surfaces. That is probably as important to a new builder as keeping them on the control surface centerline. While most kit plans do locate them accurately you should add to your segment segment showing the plan hinge locations and marking them accurately on the surfaces. I hope you will continue this series with; locating and installing control horns, covering methods, pushrod installing, etc… Keeping it simple and straightforward is the key but continue your pursuit of accuracy and try to ask yourself if you are new to this what questions a newcomer would have.

5. Jon Francis says:

Hi, Thanks for the video. I dip my hinges in melted Crisco to prevent the glue (epoxy) from getting in the barrel of the hinge. I swab the hinge with alcohol after the glue has set to remove most of the Crisco.
    Thanks, Jon