The Road to Top Gun: Sneak Peek of the Competitors

Feb 13, 2014 18 Comments by

The 26th Annual Top Gun Scale Invitational, is once again going to be a full 5-day extravaganza of the best RC scale competition. Starting on April 30 and continuing till May 4, Frank Tiano’s annual event will take place at the Paradise Field RC flying facility in Lakeland FL. And, for the first time, there will be a new paved runway as well as one of the best sod surfaces found at any flying event! As the Primary Media Sponsor, Model Airplane News is again helping kick off the excitement with our sneak peak of the planes and pilots planning to attend this year’s event. The battle for the “Mr. Top Gun ” crown, is always exciting and you never know who’s going to walk away with the coveted title.

We’ll be featuring many online photos and details shown no where else. Check out these amazing planes the contestants will be competing with. Stay tuned and be sure to leave your comments.

Yak130

Vitaly Robertus, Yakovlev Yak-130

Originally debuted at the 9th Jet World Masters championship in 2011, Vitaly Robertus designed and produced the RusJet Yakovlev Yak-130. When he first unveiled this amazing jet, it was recognized as having a level of accuracy never before seen in competition and it set a new world standard in its class never before achieved.

World-Jet-pilot

The jet is ¼-scale and is powered by twin JetCat P-100RX turbine engines. Vitaly uses a Futaba T18 transmitter and JR servos with a PowerBox receiver. Features include flaps, slats, airbrake, speed brake, drop tanks, landing lights, navigation lights, rotating beacons,  a working APU, retractable landing gears, opening canopy, an animated pilot, and working multi-functional displays.

Featured News, From the Magazine, Gerry Yarrish, Road to Top Gun 2014, Scale

Senior Technical Editor About Me: I have a lifelong passion for all things scale, and I love to design, build and fly scale RC airplanes. With 20 plus years as part of the Air Age family of magazines, I love producing Model Airplane News and Electric Flight.

18 Responses to “The Road to Top Gun: Sneak Peek of the Competitors”

1. allen says:

only the rich can have the jets

2. Bob Barth says:

The paved runway will make this event even better than before. I look forward to seeing even more scale aircraft because of this.

3. Mike Howell says:

Why not give the trophy to him now?. What an amazing airplane. I can see why it sets the “standard” now.!

4. Robert-Jackson Longmire says:

Camping area available, TENTS?

5. David says:

Yes, the very rich, they should rename it to “Top Rich Top Gun” seems that money determines the winner.

6. Mitch Miller-Barrack says:

Hi Gerry…noticed typo you might want to correct….I don’t think the Top Gun winner gets a coveted “tile”…(-: ….btw…congrats on your cool career..you once did a beautiful build article in MAN with my dad (Sid Miller) in 1998 for his Pietenpohl Air Camper…we miss him…he spoke fondly of you…

7. Bradley says:

How much money does he actually have invested into this Yak?

I have seen some crazy numbers with many zeros… I have no idea if any of them are accurate.

8. Bill Barton says:

Actually, it is winners that determine the rich.

9. Andreas Kanonenberg says:

Vitali’s Yak 130 is arguably the best R/C model ever built. The 2013 version is much improved over the already breathtaking aircraft from 2011 — it truly needs to be seen to be properly appreciated. And I don’t care much about the economic status of the builder/owner — this machine is a jewel. And that’s all that should count.

10. Scott says:

Most might be rich but not all. As for me, it was a simple matter of selling one of the children and hocking my wife’s jewelry.

• james prive says:

Hello all you don’t have to be rich just love model aircraft and fly really really good. Im flying my 1\3 scale supercub and by no way am I rich look for it to be in the top 10 of pro am when im done this year I plan to take the warbirds down with side slips and scale speed. Not cost lol .

11. mike says:

You can.t buy the ability to build or fly such masterpiece. i can’t be jealous of something i could never do myself like brain surgery or build a top gun model.check out the videos.

12. Ray Stokes says:

This may be as close to a “miniature” version of the real thing as has ever been attempted. The following link gives some real detail: http://vimeo.com/71377434. The internet/Facebook links suggest that RusJet is a Moscow based club (with very, very deep pockets I would think!). Quite a distance from my early Comet tissue/stick models!

13. steve says:

Great plane, well done , good on you. Dont take any notice of the knockers they are just jealous, cheers Steve

14. Len Bechtold says:

Expert or Team Scale?

Len Bechtold

15. Al S says:

Beautiful aircraft! Last time I checked, that is what this hobby is about! Not what somebody can afford! I think we all should strive to build the best that we can afford, and not how much money someone else spent on their masterpiece.

16. Cavera Fernando says:

Amazing plane. Definitely it has set a new standard for scale competition. Read that the total project cost around $300.000. 3 planes were produced.
    =D

17. james prive says:

why was he not at top gun