Hangar 9 30cc Spitfire VIDEO

Apr 16, 2014 14 Comments by

This plane is made for all of you Spitfire fans out there, and for all you soon to be Spitfire fans. The new Hangar 9 Spitfire Mk IXc 30cc ARF is not only a great looking aircraft, it is a great flying aircraft. I was lucky enough to do the review on this airplane. When you watch the video you will quickly see that I really like about this Spitfire, and what’s not to like? The ARF comes with plenty of scale details and when you add the E-flite electric retracts you have one sweet looking and flying warbird.  Be sure to check it out!

Hangar_9_Spitfire-1416 Hangar_9_Spitfire-5182 Hangar_9_Spitfire-1436 Hangar_9_Spitfire-5089 Hangar_9_Spitfire-1453

John Reid

West Coast senior editor About me: I’ve been involved with RC aircraft since high school and have flown just about everything. I started my RC career with scratch-building, but now like many pilots I rely on ARFs to get me in the air. My main focus is on pylon racing, aerobats, combat and scale warbirds.

14 Responses to “Hangar 9 30cc Spitfire VIDEO”

1. Ben says:

Nice review of a good airplane but why the music? Do you enjoy talking in the background?
    Let us hear the voice, let us hear the engine. For craps sake does everything have to be done with music?????

2. richard tuler (@f4ucrazy) says:

What’s up with the red maple leaf on mr. Johnson’s fuse? His was a green leaf. It was sent that way from the company, and he thought it would be bad ju-ju if he changed it to red. Just a bit of history on his plane.

3. Terry T. says:

What an AWESOME SPITFIRE!!! Sure looks like a great model to convert to an electric motor, since all I fly is electric. Definitely a gorgeous plane!!!

4. Dick Hoover says:

Nothing here to tear down. Spitfires forever!

5. Don Horneff says:

Mine is nearing finished construction now. Powered by the E-Flite Power 160 on 10 cells, 5300mah. Looking forward to flying it.

@Richard Tuler, Both colors of maple leaf are included on decal sheet, but instructions are in black and white and do not denote which to use. Thank you for that info.

6. Tracy Jenson says:

Just to be nit-picky, you can tell a person is not a full-scale pilot if they use the word, “plane”. A “plane” is what you shave wood with. It is an airplane, and being a pilot of full-scale airplanes I cannot recall a “real” pilot using the word “plane”.

• John says:

Just to be nit-picky :-) ,

The tool you use to shave wood is called a bench plane, wood plane, Jack plane, low-angle plane or block plane, but is not referred to as a plane.

Here is the definition of “plane”
      plane [pleyn]
      noun
      a flat or level surface.
      Geometry . a surface generated by a straight line moving at a constant velocity with respect to a fixed point.
      Fine Arts. an area of a two-dimensional surface having determinate extension and spatial direction or position: oblique plane; horizontal plane.
      a level of dignity, character, existence, development, or the like: a high moral plane.
      Aeronautics .
      a.
      an airplane or a hydroplane: to take a plane to Dallas.
      b.
      a thin, flat or curved, extended section of an airplane or a hydroplane, affording a supporting surface.

• Rich says:

Tracy, I did not know that a could not call my plane a plane. and yes I am a full scale pilot. I own and fly my Cessna 172-m. but holy cow man!!!!! this must really bother you. I asked many of my senior flyers at our flying club if this was proper lingo, and the answers I received were all the same and I can not print them on this sight. so all I have to say is that I love John’s plane and I would love to see him fly his plane sometime. and I also love flying my plane. Rich.

7. rich says:

john first of all congradulations on a great looking warbird. is that better Tracy? and yes I am a full scale pilot. I fly and own a 172-m Cessna and did not know I could not call my plane a plane. I was just giving john some history on my Johnsons spit, and did not know I was going to strike a nerve with you. but come on now. when I’m at the airventure show at Oshkosh this year I will be sure to correct everyone that calls an airplane a plane. might leave there with a couple of black eyes but at least every full scale pilot will know they are not a full scale pilot if they make that mistake.sorry John but again one fine job on your plane!!!!!

• John says:

Thanks Rich!
      I am thinking that using the word plane or airplane could be a regional dialect. Really there is no right or wrong here. :-)
      The main thing to keep in mind, is that this is really a great flying and good-looking aircraft. If you are thinking about getting one of these Spitfires, I would definitely recommend it.

8. rich says:

John, could you please tell me what material the fuse is coverd with? fiberglass or monocote,or….. and what retracts,size. and finally what is the biggest engine you can use? thanks john cant wait until I get one. this is one good looking spit. thanks again for the video.

• John says:

It is covered with the printed UltraCote. The retracts are on the horizon web site, they are the ones they recommend for this plane. The Evolution engine that i talk about in the video would most likely be the largest one you could put on this aircraft with out having to do a lot of cutting on the cowl. things are tight under that cowl.