First Flight! DC-3 Masterpiece

Jun 25, 2014 14 Comments by

Capture

This stunning DC-3 done up in Flugfélag Íslands (Air Iceland) colors is the handiwork of Icelandic modeler Sturla Snorrason. A completely scratch-built project, the model features traditional wood construction and true aluminum parts, like the wing fairings made from aluminum plate. Two RCG 26cc gas engines power the 36-pound DC-3, while Best Pilots figures occupy the cockpit. Don’t miss the close-up of Sturla’s custom handmade landing gear toward the end of the video … they are a work of art in themselves! This DC-3 is truly a scale masterpiece.

Debra Cleghorn, Featured News

14 Responses to “First Flight! DC-3 Masterpiece”

1. Bob Bailey says:

Abzolutely amazing craftsmanship!

2. Dan Haines says:

Awesome job!!!!!

3. Johan Botha says:

Excellent!

4. Ray Stokes says:

Beautiful work! Wonderful to see what modelers in other places are doing. Stay 2 mistakes up with this fine plane!

5. Jim Slaughter says:

Beautiful piece of work! The landing gear are incredible!

6. Chris haefeli says:

Good for you. Most beautiful plane and back ground.

7. Tony says:

I had the privilege of meeting Sturla in Reykjavik two years ago when this plane was in its infancy. He is a craftsman and a real nice guy. I am building his PBY and can only hope I can do half as good a job as he has. He is an artist of the highest order.

8. Dave Bell says:

The craftsmanship is outstanding .IMHO however ,the flight speed and engine sounds greatly detract from an otherwise outstanding effort by a much better than average builder .Keep up the excellant work .

9. Jim says:

This is a remarkable pie e of art.

10. Michel Koolhaas says:

Impresionante…espectacular terminación y vuela con equipo de RC antiguo con antena ja ja Muy bueno!!!!

11. Alex Kovnat says:

Re large, scale RC models of famous aircraft: Years ago, I had an idea I tried passing on to other aviation enthusiasts: I conceived the idea that the RC model aircraft community should get together and craft an accurate, scale model Bf109G, Focke-Wulf 190 or Japanese Zero. Then, arrange to have one of the great aces of WWII (This was years ago when they were still around and in good shape) fire a 12 gauge shotgun at said scale model of an enemy aircraft as it flew by. Why? So the newspapers could say the next day that (for example) Chuck Yeager shot down a Messerschmidt ONE MORE TIME.

12. jose luis Ramirez Barbosa says:

Es un hermoso y romántico DC-3 quien no recuerda estos maravillosos modelos

13. Brad Schroder says:

I have been around RC aviation for quite a few years and have even had the privilege of being part of the crew on the larger planes that race in the giant scale RC racing series. We were race #313 & were known as the desert demons. We flew a P51 mustang with an 80″ wingspan and had a 200cc twin cylinder engine running on methanol and nitro. Some of the aircraft I have seen had some incredible craftsmanship, but none of them even came close to this DC-3. This has to be one of the most beautiful aircraft I have seen. And I would bet that it looks even better in person

14. Davíð Sturluson says:

Just want to point out that Sturla has his small website called rcsturla.com where you can see more pictures of the plane.