12-Engine Flying Boat!

Aug 29, 2014 30 Comments by

A true scratch-built project, this 1/10-scale Dornier DO X1a was designed, built and piloted by Michael Bräuer. This impressive built-up plane has a 16-foot wingspan and weighs in at 132 pounds, and it’s powered by twelve (12!) O.S. .62 4-strokes. Michael notes that he spent one year building this giant plane and that it has Futaba servos, fiberglass engine cowls and retracts and that its top speed is 59mph. The sound those 12 powerplants make is incredible, and the video shows how well the model handles in very heavy wind, even on landing. Thanks to RCScaleAirplanes for taking and posting this great video!

Debra Cleghorn, Featured News

30 Responses to “12-Engine Flying Boat!”

1. mitchell emerton says:

AWSOME PLANE!!!!!! JUST AWSOME!!!!!!!!

2. jeb says:

magnificent! When I first saw this I thought it must be electric.

3. Bob Mixon says:

Wow, what an amazing build; very impressive. I build, from scratch, myself; but nothing ever this elaborate. Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed it!

• RC Scale Airplanes says:

Thank you for your compliments, which I really appreciate.
      I’m very pleased to know, that you liked watching the video.
      Best regards, RCSA

4. ulyssesfoto@yahoo.com.br says:

…simple FANTASTIC…

5. Rich R says:

Yeah its awesome but what the heck do you do for a living to afford something like that? Im guessing over 40k in that thing?

• RC Scale Airplanes says:

Thank you for your kind comment.
      The price is much less. I guess not more than $6k because wood is’nt that expensive :)

6. johns2345 says:

WOW! I could never even dream of building a plane like that one! I’m still trying to build my second ultra micro foamy. It almost flies!

John

• RC Scale Airplanes says:

Thank you for your compliments, which I really appreciate. I’m very pleased to know, that you liked watching the video.
      Regards, RCSA

7. Rich Uravitch says:

Spectacular accomplishment! He is obviously very gifted in ALL phases of R/C modeling from the design and building to the finishing and flying. My hats off to Mr. Brauer (umlaut not available)!

• RC Scale Airplanes says:

Thank you for your compliments, which I really appreciate.
      I’m very pleased to know, that you liked watching the video.
      No problem about the missing “ä” but in the future you can use “ae” instead of :)
      Best regards, RCSA

8. James says:

Love it, building that in a year is quite a task I am sure. Just thinking of how to get 10 engines all synced up, glow at that, wow impressive job.

9. Jim says:

OMG, where else can you spend so much money and have the time to work on this stuff!!!?? Amazing! I’m a kit builder…. nothing even close to this. NICE!

10. Bryan says:

Absolutely beautiful. Would love to see it take off and land on water.

• RC Scale Airplanes says:

Thank you for your kind comment !
      Since the weight of this plane is +25kgs it can’t be flown outside of an airfield. There are maybe one or two events here in Germany where it could be possible (not sure) to start-fly-land at/over an lake. Therefore the owner decided not to invest unnecessary time to make it floatable.
      Cheers, RCSA

11. george says:

awesome model……the grandson of the designer of the original , rebuilt one , a real one , and flew it around the world…!!!2 or 3 years ago…that too was a feat….love dornier aircraft…

• RC Scale Airplanes says:

Thank you George!
      As far as I know, there was never rebuild a Do-X and I’m living 60 miles from Friedrichshafen :)
      Tho only one which has been rebiuld was the Do “Wal” in 2012
      Best regards, RCSA

12. Jamie says:

Magnificent!
    Excellent build!
    What a spectacular aircraft to model! I LOVE that there’s a DOZEN GLOW motors!!!
    Hats off to you!

13. Johan Britz says:

Spectacular, he must be an amazing modeler, very few of this calibre left in the world, I started 55 years ago with radio models and then real ones, therefor I know, we had to build everything –no ARFs, those days!
    Johan Britz
    South Africa.

• RC Scale Airplanes says:

Thank you for your compliments, which I really appreciate. Yes, Mr. Bräuer is a fantastic modeller and also a very skilled pilot.
      Best regards from Germany, Horst (RCSA)

14. Baz Yat says:

Now that is nice. Is it amphibious?

• RC Scale Airplanes says:

Thank you!

15. ALRUI says:

I want to see how they fire up all 12 motors – must be quite a process:-)

16. Bob Lippman says:

Just fantastic build! That’s always been a favorite historical plane and on my must-build “bucket list” for sure (although mine will be designed to work on water). You seemed to be flying most of the time just over stall speed – my heart skipped a beat for you at several points.