Flying giant-scale airplanes at night has increased in popularity, and all for good reason. Not only is it unique and fun, but it also presents a different challenge that daylight flying cannot provide. This past summer, I decided I wanted to try night flying with the giant-scale CARF-Models Edge 540. I used this aircraft because I had many flights on it, and I was very familiar with its flight characteristics. So, if you’ve ever thought of trying some night flying yourself, this should help you figure out what you are getting yourself into!
Of course good equipment leads to good result and so the process starts on the workbench…
MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS PREMIUM members can access this article and many others highlighting amazing techniques, RC airplane builds and projects. When you become a member, you’ll get instant online access to our back-issue archives, the latest Model Airplane News Digital Editions, all of our newsstand-only special issues, and much more.
Membership includes exclusive access to our enormous collection of RC information.
- 7+ years of digital editions of Model Airplane News
- Flight Journal and Model Airplane News special issue digital editions, previously only available on newsstands
- Free access to our magazine app through the iTunes Store – get Model Airplane News on your mobile or tablet device
- Aerobatic flight technique video lessons for plane & helicopter pilots
- Contests & giveaways only for members
- 30 years of Model Airplane News archives
- 10 years of Electric Flight archives
- 5% off ALL Air Age Store purchases every time you shop