Those who “don’t know what they don’t know” usually claim (by default) to be content with their flying. The reality is that flying is a lot more fun when you do it well and continue to improve, and nothing instills the satisfaction of a job well done like being able to string together several aerobatic maneuvers.
The turnaround maneuvers that will enable you to astutely reposition your airplane toward the front or back of the aerobatic airspace, or “box” are part of cross-box positioning. Outside of competition, the “aerobatic box” is the reasonable airspace (with good visibility) that a pilot performs his maneuvers within. Proficient pilots take advantage of all the airspace in the aerobatic box by performing maneuvers parallel to both the X and Y axis. By maneuvering toward the front or rear of the aerobatic box on the Y axis, you can enjoy greater flexibility and far more aerobatic options.
One of the handiest maneuvers you can learn is the cross-box humpty bump turnaround. By adding 1/4 rolls to the up and downlines of a humpty bump, you’ll be able to reposition the airplane closer or farther away on the Y axis. The most common application of this version of the humpty is to reposition the airplane farther upwind.
MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS PREMIUM members can access this article and many others highlighting amazing techniques, RC airplane builds and projects. When you become a member, you’ll get instant online access to our back-issue archives, the latest Model Airplane News Digital Editions, all of our newsstand-only special issues, and much more.
Membership includes exclusive access to our enormous collection of RC information.
- 7+ years of digital editions of Model Airplane News
- Flight Journal and Model Airplane News special issue digital editions, previously only available on newsstands
- Free access to our magazine app through the iTunes Store – get Model Airplane News on your mobile or tablet device
- Contests & giveaways only for members
- 30 years of Model Airplane News archives
- 10 years of Electric Flight archives
- 5% off ALL Air Age Store purchases every time you shop