It’s always interesting to see the diverse interests of those involved in building and flying giant-scale aircraft. Some RCers are involved completely in aerobatics, while others focus on building exact scale versions of full-size subjects. No matter what interest have, care and caution must be taken while building your model airplanes. Aside from proper building materials and making structurally sound glue joints, it is equally important to produce a straight and true airframe for your airplane to perform as intended and stand the test of time.
Having a straight airplane is a must, as no computer mix can completely compensate for a badly warped airframe. The straighter an airframe is, the more neutral it will be while flying. I can honestly say that I have had many airplanes that only required a few clicks of trim (with minor changes to the CG), and I owe this to proper building and alignment.
My recent project is a Super Decathlon from Exclusiv Modellbau, and it features a two-piece, 132-inch wingspan and is a rather complete wood kit intended for an experienced builder. Using the Super Decathlon as an example, let’s focus on the proper alignment between the horizontal and vertical stabilizers in relation to the wing. Of course this can be applied to any giant scale airplane you are building…
MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS PREMIUM members can access this article and many others highlighting amazing techniques, RC airplane builds and projects. When you become a member, you’ll get instant online access to our back-issue archives, the latest Model Airplane News Digital Editions, all of our newsstand-only special issues, and much more.
Membership includes exclusive access to our enormous collection of RC information.
- 7+ years of digital editions of Model Airplane News
- Flight Journal and Model Airplane News special issue digital editions, previously only available on newsstands
- Free access to our magazine app through the iTunes Store – get Model Airplane News on your mobile or tablet device
- Aerobatic flight technique video lessons for plane & helicopter pilots
- Contests & giveaways only for members
- 30 years of Model Airplane News archives
- 10 years of Electric Flight archives
- 5% off ALL Air Age Store purchases every time you shop