If you want your plane to track straight, simply put an alignment rod, (two brass tubes with a steel rod inserted for extended reach), in place of the axles.
Poof! You now have perfect alignment of your main landing gear’s axles.
All you have to do is lock the landing gear into place, (or the lower axle support hubs), and install your axles and wheels.
Straight alignment is very important for taming your airplane’s ground handling especially during takeoff runs and landings. You’ll have far less ground loops if your axles are aligned with each other.
It is important to get the axles straight and then use thread locker to make sure the set screws holding the axles or lower end of the gear don’t come loose…
MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS PREMIUM members can access this article and many others highlighting amazing techniques, RC airplane builds and projects. When you become a member, you’ll get instant online access to our back-issue archives, the latest Model Airplane News Digital Editions, all of our newsstand-only special issues, and much more.
Membership includes exclusive access to our enormous collection of RC information.
- 7+ years of digital editions of Model Airplane News
- Flight Journal and Model Airplane News special issue digital editions, previously only available on newsstands
- Free access to our magazine app through the iTunes Store – get Model Airplane News on your mobile or tablet device
- Contests & giveaways only for members
- 30 years of Model Airplane News archives
- 10 years of Electric Flight archives
- 5% off ALL Air Age Store purchases every time you shop