Wait, what!! A Nose-Down Hover? Yes, indeed. this 40% scale aerobatic model is pointing straight down, frozen in a vertical hover.We caught up with German pilot and Hacker team member Markus Rummer to get an inside look at this RC black magic!.
Markus, a seasoned pilot, designer, and fabricator, was strutting his stuff with a thrust-vectored, variable-pitch-propped, electric-powered, 3.1m Delro Raven. According to Markus, the highly modified 39-pound model is one of a kind and is an eighth-generation prototype developed over six years.
Appearing to defy gravity, the Raven incorporates a functional wing-mounted pitot tube and an onboard sensor to automatically adjust prop pitch to match the given airspeed. Slower forward movement equals less pitch, and vice versa.
At the business end, carbon-fiber helicopter rotor blades, reduced in length, act as the propeller, with two servos controlling the variable pitch thrust vectoring with a custom collective mechanism. The model is powered by a modified Hacker A200 and gets its power from two 5,000mAh 12S LiPos (lithium polymer battery packs).
MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS PREMIUM members can access this article and many others highlighting amazing techniques, RC airplane builds and projects. When you become a member, you’ll get instant online access to our back-issue archives, the latest Model Airplane News Digital Editions, all of our newsstand-only special issues, and much more.
Membership includes exclusive access to our enormous collection of RC information.
- 7+ years of digital editions of Model Airplane News
- Flight Journal and Model Airplane News special issue digital editions, previously only available on newsstands
- Free access to our magazine app through the iTunes Store – get Model Airplane News on your mobile or tablet device
- Aerobatic flight technique video lessons for plane & helicopter pilots
- Contests & giveaways only for members
- 30 years of Model Airplane News archives
- 10 years of Electric Flight archives
- 5% off ALL Air Age Store purchases every time you shop