The man and the machine! Frank Tiano shows how to build the ultimate warbird from WW2. His CARF-Models P-47 Thunderbolt has become one of the most popular airplanes flown at national events including Top Gun.. Frank, the father of the scale Invitational event in Lakeland, FL, considers the model to be one of the finest P-47s he has ever owned.
Frank Tiano and his crew ready the big CARF Models Thunderbolt for a day at the flying field.
I like the fact that I’ve paid enough dues that occasionally someone acknowledges the experience I have acquired in building and flying model airplanes. So, naturally when Gerry Yarrish from Model Airplane News called and said, “I hear you have a Composite-ARF P-47, would you be able to write an article about it for our readers?” Obviously, the answer to his question was “Yes.”
Composite-ARF, now known as CARF-Models, has been manufacturing scale models for many years. So, I almost had a heart attack when I heard that their next release was going to be a model of my all-time favorite, the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (commonly called “The Jug”). I have been a Thunderbolt nut since I don’t know when, and have probably built at least one from every kit or plan ever produced. Let me see, Don Smith, Nick Ziroli, Meister Scale, Top Flite, Bob Holman, Aerotech, Bud Nosen, ParkZone, Troy Built, and Hangar 9 readily come to mind and I’m sure there’s a couple of others I forgot! This model is not only the finest P-47 I have personally owned, it just may be the consummate ARF WW II scale kit available in the modeling world today….
MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS PREMIUM members can access this article on how to make your own lozenge covering. When you become a member, you’ll get instant online access to our back-issue archives, the latest Model Airplane News Digital Editions, all of our newsstand-only special issues, and much more.
Membership includes exclusive access to our enormous collection of RC information.
• 7+ years of digital editions of Model Airplane News
• Flight Journal and Model Airplane News special issue digital editions, previously only available on newsstands
• Free access to our magazine app through the iTunes Store – get Model Airplane News on your mobile or tablet device
• Aerobatic flight technique video lessons for plane & helicopter pilots
• Contests & giveaways only for members
• 30 years of Model Airplane News archives
• 10 years of Electric Flight archives
• 5% off ALL Air Age Store purchases every time you shop