This past weekend we had an amazing time at the Toledo show, and saw some top notch models in the static competition. Some of the models on display we had been keeping track of while others were a pleasant surprise to see. All the entries were of the highest caliber and in some classes, the competition was very close indeed. Here are some photos from the weekend.
Toledo Show 2016 Winners
Best of Show Sepp Uberlacher F6F Hellcat
People’s Choics Sal Calvagna Sikorsky Ilya Muromets
Best Finish (Film) Mark Rittinger Pharaoh
1. Danny Carroza 46% Pitts S1S
2. Len Sabato 60% Clipped Wing Cub
3. Kevin Young RadioWave 3.1m MX2
1. Sepp Uberlacher F6F Hellcat
2. Sal Calvagna Sikorsky Ilya Muromets
3. Brian Perkins Hawker Hurricane Mk.1
1. Roy Maynard HEINKEL HE-162 Salamander
2. Joe Lewis F-86
3. James Jajuga Viper
Military Sport Scale
1. Greg Hahn P-47
2. Martin Irvine Sopwith Camel
3. Dave Johnson 1/8-scale LVG C.VI
Non-Military Sport Scale
1. Peter Conquergood DHC-2 Beaver
2. Dennis Sumner Mooney Mite
3. Gerry Hinshaw Stearman
1. Bob Bienenstein Civy Boy
2. Larry Latowski Nemith Hi-Tri Wing
3. Dave Frantz Bunch Scorpion
1. Mel Holman Meteor
2. Scott Black Olympic II
3. Tom Scully Saphire
1. Dan Grotzinger E-Cobra 25
2. Mark Rittinger Pharaoh
3. Chuck Gratner Riley Model-B
1. Dan Grotzinger Dirty Birdy
2. John Haffner Esquire
3. Bob Noll Royal Rudder Bug
For complete winner information go to the Toledo show website.
Who got best finish paint?
It was a boat. The LockPat II by Gregory Rice
Great! But who were the boat winners?
Sorry John, we got the airplane information after we left the event as usual. I have no idea who they were. Check the Toledo show page?
What a show!! Congrats to all the winners!
The number of ARFs at the show was criminal, though if there were none the number of display models would be nearly halved. The fact that the Sabato’s Hempel Cub won an award is a disgrace, just the anhedral should have been enough to get it evicted from the building.
Thankfully there were enough other finely executed models to offset the ARFs, the Hellcat and Sikorsky being two deserving winners.
what happened to the helicopter division winners?
It was a fun show. The competition was nice to see whether they were scratch built or arfs. I’ve seen many arfs that have terrible workmanship and the fact they hauled these nice ones to the show is OK. Better than a table full of quadcopters.
With such a short nose moment how do they balance the Sikorsky Ilya Muromets?
Great shots…. could not go this year… thanks
Hey. Grotzinger built both of his and the construction and finishes were great. That boat must’ve been awfully shiny to beat his Dirty Birdy.
Comments are closed.