Aviation enthusiasts should already know the story of the Skyraider. Several excellent books, including Profile’s publication, have been written about this exceptional airplane. Therefore, what I have to say about the Skyraider is a retrospective outline of its development and orientation. The design began in 1944 as a replacement for the SBD Dauntless. The early prototypes had little resemblance to today’s airplane. The XBT20-1 was the first version to have this appearance. At this time they were named Dauntless II. Not until 1946, was the designation of the then present model BT2D renamed Skyraider.
Man Subscribe Sidebar
- A Really Long Road to Top Gun — 7,851 miles for Gwyn Avenell and his 1/4-scale Hawker Fury.
- RC Airplanes — Beginner tips: Easy Engine Cowls
- A new way of using a hobby knife & other tips!
- And the Winner is… Best in Show at the AMA East Expo
- Flight Technique: Secrets to Inverted Flight
- Aviation Legend: Interview with Gen. Chuck Yeager
- Video workshop Tip — Making Strong Splices in Balsa Sheeting