Vacuum-formed canopies are a must-have for many warbirds and modern-day civilian aircraft models. In a kit, the clear, formed canopy is a factory-made part that comes as part of the package. But when you are scratch building a scale model, you will have to make your own. Sometimes for popular designs, specialty companies and/or designers of published plans offer formed canopies. Sig Mfg. has an excellent collection of formed bubble canopies in several styles. But more often than not, the scratch-builder is faced with the task of “growing his own.” It is right of passage to make your own vacuum-formed canopy for a model where there are none available.
Here’s how it’s done…
MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS PREMIUM members can access this article on how to make your own lozenge covering. When you become a member, you’ll get instant online access to our back-issue archives, the latest Model Airplane News Digital Editions, all of our newsstand-only special issues, and much more.
Membership includes exclusive access to our enormous collection of RC information.
• 7+ years of digital editions of Model Airplane News
• Flight Journal and Model Airplane News special issue digital editions, previously only available on newsstands
• Free access to our magazine app through the iTunes Store – get Model Airplane News on your mobile or tablet device
• Aerobatic flight technique video lessons for plane & helicopter pilots
• Contests & giveaways only for members
• 30 years of Model Airplane News archives
• 10 years of Electric Flight archives
• 5% off ALL Air Age Store purchases every time you shop