The Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair ARF build is coming along nicely and we are nearing the Bent-Wing Warbird’s completion. This past weekend I finalized the engine installation as well as the fuel tank and ignition installations. Here’s how the project looks now.
The instructions suggest a three-line fuel tank setup but I decided to use the two-line installation with a T-fitting installed in the line going to the carburetor. This allows easy fueling and de-fueling without the use of two clunks in the tank.
The fuel tank comes with nice hardware including a stopper with metal caps and large diameter tubes. The smaller inner cap plate is tapped for the tightening screw. Bending the vent tube takes a little effort but you can do it without kinking it if you roll it over the edged a rounded table edge.
I find it convenient to make the tank for the proper positioning of the plumbing. This way you don’t mix up the lines.
I also mark the top of the tank, so I do not install it upside down which is very easy to do. Remember when the fuselage is inverted on the workstand, the tank’s top goes in facing down!
Here’s the T-fitting and a large scale fuel filter. I installed the filter in the capped filler line so the gasoline gets filtered on the way in, and it protects the carburetor from any possible debris.
To feed the fuel lines through the firewall, I use extra fuel line and connect it to the fuel system to pull them through the holes. I also mark the lines for “vent” and “Engine” so they end up going through the correct holes.
Marking the lines and the holes makes mistakes almost impossible. When you drill the holes, you want to make sure the lines won’t come in contact with the muffler.
Installing the fuel tank is a piece of cake. It fits through one former and the front of the tank rests against another former behind the firewall. I used some stick on foam tape on the front of the tank and added the foam padding shown here. The sides of the tank are isolated from the former with some thick beads of PFM adhesive. The instructions show the use of rubber bands to secure the tank, but the PFM does this. The rubber band here is holding the tank while the adhesive dries.
Though the instructions say to have the filler fuel line exit the bottom of the engine box structure (3-line setup), with my T-fitting setup I routed it as shown here, to keep it exiting the fuselage in the same place and making room to clear the hot muffler. Note the use of cable ties to secure the fuel fittings.
I secured the T-fitting to one of the upper engine standoffs with tie-wraps. I also added some foam tape padding so it would not chafe against the lite ply plate used to support the engine’s ignition system.
Here the 2000mAh ignition battery (6V) and the ignition module are secured to the support plate, which is held in place with more tie-wraps. Plenty of foam and sticky foam tape is used to keep everything in place.
A standard Futaba radio on/off switch is used for the ignition power switch and it is installed up against the firewall. I used Zap 15-minute epoxy to glue it up against the firewall. The balsa ring and the plywood ring have to be cut away for the switch to sit properly just aft of the engine cowling. A sharp chisel comes in handy for this operation.
Some scrap balsa and some of the wood just removed, is glued back into place and sanded to match the fuselage curvature finished up the installation.
I re-covered the bare wood with the piece of Monokote I removed when I cut the fuselage opening, and also used an Ernst Charge Receptacle (#124) to finish the switch installation. Looks real neat and professional with the cowl back in place. For quick reference, I always install ignition switches with up (on) and down (off). Also, for the charging recepticle the black ground wire is at the bottom. Makes sense to me anyway.
Unfortunately, at the end, all of my neat engine cowling opening trimming around the exhaust pipes was for naught. I had to open up the cowling even more to make room for the spark plug lead and cap installation. But it still looks neat. I might get another engine cowl, and refine the engine openings for an even better appearance, but that can wait till after the test flight.
That’s it for now, stay tuned as I finalize the radio gear installation and install the mechanical choke linkage.