When it comes to electric aircraft, one of the key components is your battery pack. It is the only power source to keep your aircraft in the air, requires constant maintenance, and if not watched it will most likely be the first thing that needs to be replaced. But with the right care and careful monitoring, a battery pack will most likely last for quite some time. So if you are looking to add some extra time to your battery pack’s lifespan, read on and learn some expert tips on the care, feeding and maintenance of that vital aircraft element, the LiPo battery pack.
The C-rating designation on a battery pack lets you know just how much energy you can safely pull from that pack. LiPo battery packs can release amp draw based on the requirement of the power system. However, because there is no regulator to limit the amount of power draw from the battery, the system can actually pull too much from the pack, causing it to puff up or be destroyed. This is why understanding C-rating is so critical to maintaining the health of your battery pack. The other key essential is that you need to have some way of monitoring the amount of amperage being pulled from the pack…
MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS PREMIUM members can access this article and many others highlighting amazing techniques, RC airplane builds and projects. When you become a member, you’ll get instant online access to our back-issue archives, the latest Model Airplane News Digital Editions, all of our newsstand-only special issues, and much more.
Membership includes exclusive access to our enormous collection of RC information.
- 7+ years of digital editions of Model Airplane News
- Flight Journal and Model Airplane News special issue digital editions, previously only available on newsstands
- Free access to our magazine app through the iTunes Store – get Model Airplane News on your mobile or tablet device
- Contests & giveaways only for members
- 30 years of Model Airplane News archives
- 10 years of Electric Flight archives
- 5% off ALL Air Age Store purchases every time you shop